« Home | Help me out, am I wrong? » | Is it bad that this seems normal now? » | In plain language » | Sounds about right » | Barkley and Limbaugh » | Overruled?!? » | Hillary gets religion ... » | Hillary-ous » | Black Sheep » | They're coming to get us » 

Friday, May 20, 2005 

My Mind Is Blown

The new Green Day album just kills me. At the same time raw and creative and somehow as good as the Clash. The best is a beautiful masterpiece in the middle called Jesus of Suburbia that is an ode to seventies arena rock with its change of pace and lyric structure. And better. I haven't been this excited to listen to an album since Siamese Dream. So both subtely and overtly political. He even sings like Ben Folds at one point in the song. This part of Jesus of Suburbia is a perfect explanation of a bad person finally realizing he is bad. The shame we all feel for the minor things we do, blown up to George W. Bush size.

To live and not to breathe, Is to die In tragedy

To run, to run away, To find what you believe

And I leave behind, This hurricane of fucking lies

I lost my faith to this, This town that don't exist

So I run I run away, To the light of masochist

And I leave behind, This hurricane of fucking lies

And I walked this line, A million and one fucking times, But not this time

This album is as great (and GOOD) as any ever. They somehow managed to take the next step that so many bands are expected to take but never do. I am just in awe of anyone who can do anything this well.