« Home | Fun facts about our world » | Average Joe » | Media Matters rocks » | Oy. » | Things I Would Have Believed » | Libertarians? » | Things I Used To Believe (and actually still do be... » | The Phony gets political » | God hates the heartland? » | Interesting » 

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 

Fiona Apple is a genius

The Phony might not like this so much:
[Q:] It was six years between your second CD, When the Pawn..., and your new one, Extraordinary Machine. What were you doing all that time? [Apple:] Um, I really didn't do anything. I know I obviously had to have been doing a lot--because I'm a lot different now than I was then, but there's nothing that I can show you that I've done. I've tried to scrape my mind and rake up and little things that I might have done: I read some plays for a while; I spent a lot of time walking. That's something that still happens. I just walk around.... but the truth is that I haven't really done anything of consequence. Were you writing a lot of songs? No. [laughs]... What was with the play reading? ... I'd always wanted to read more plays, and I felt like "Oh, that'll be my thing now. I'll read all the plays that everyone knows." I went to the bookstore and bought 20 plays, and I would just really get into them. I had a great time reading them. Unfortunately, I look at them now on my bookshelf, and ask myself what they're about, and I can't remember.