« Home | Fiona Apple is a genius » | Fun facts about our world » | Average Joe » | Media Matters rocks » | Oy. » | Things I Would Have Believed » | Libertarians? » | Things I Used To Believe (and actually still do be... » | The Phony gets political » | God hates the heartland? » 

Friday, January 20, 2006 

Why the opposite sex fake hug and kiss?

Maybe this rant is dated, but I've noticed lately that in even the very most casual interactions between people of the opposite sex the greeting and goodbye must, absolutely must, be accompanied by the half-hug-kiss. Only on the first meeting is a simple handshake or nod allowed. Any subsequent meeting automatically affords the participants a level of familiarity and comfort with which I was unaware perfect strangers should have with each other. I suppose I lost this battle long ago, and there is no way to reverse it, so I'll embrace it. Maybe throw in a little tongue. Maybe I'll just drop my pants before hugging someone and nature take over.